Office recycling is an essential process, not just to improve CSR and green credentials of your business, but for efficiency and cost saving purposes too. Businesses that commit to a recycling programme can minimise the amount of waste that goes to landfill, as well as reducing resource consumption. For example, recycling a ton of office paper will save 7,000 gallons of water and 4,100 kWh of energy. If you’re serious about CSR then office recycling needs to be a top priority.
Establishing office recycling in the workplace
According to research, the average office worker uses 10,000 sheets of copy paper every single year. This phenomenal figure shows just how important it is to have a recycling programme in place – without it, all that waste paper simply ends up in landfill. So, how do you establish office recycling in the workplace?
- Set up office recycling points with clearly labelled bins for different items, such as paper or plastic – the easier you make it for employees to recycle the more successful your scheme is likely to be.
- Find a recycling partner. There are a range of different options, from local authorities to private enterprises. Most will come and collect your recycling and take it away – many even provide specially designed office recycling bins.
- Educate your employees. If you’re introducing a recycling programme it can be useful to spend some time on employee engagement. Explain why the programme is being introduced, why it’s important and what the benefits are for the business. It might help to put up posters around the office that show what can be recycled, and where.
- Go further than paper. You can recycle more than just documents, depending on the recycling partner you have. You may also want to consider being able to recycle print cartridges, glass bottles, aluminium cans and even furniture.
What are the benefits of office recycling?
- Credible evidence of CSR in practice. It’s not enough just to pay lip service to something like corporate social responsibility today, as consumers and clients will want to see action. Office recycling is a clear and positive step towards improving CSR within your business.
- Environmental benefits. The eco-benefits of recycling will always be at the top of the list when it comes to reasons to set up a recycling programme at work. Around 16% of solid landfill waste is made up of paper products – the only way to help reduce this is to commit to regular recycling.
- Cost savings. For many organisations, establishing office recycling often results in being able to reduce the costs associated with waste disposal.
- Boosting morale and engagement. The environment is a top priority for many people today and you might be surprised how many of your staff are keen for their workplace to be more eco-friendly and socially responsible. Proactive steps to establish office recycling can increase commitment and engagement with the business from both staff and customers.
Office recycling programmes are not that difficult to set up, but are an incredibly effective way to reduce environmental impact. It’s also essential if your business wants to be taken seriously in terms of CSR commitment. To find out more call us on 020 8899 1100 to discuss your requirements.